[scribus] font usage

Henry W. Peters hwpeters at jamadots.com
Sat Aug 15 17:37:55 CEST 2009

Gregory Pittman wrote:

> Another Example: I note that Sony are using a sans font on their
> manuals where it mixes nicely with the pictures, and a serif font in
> the "serious" section of the guarantee... I honestly think that for
> shorter documents font choice is rarely to do with legibility ...
Clive

A couple of points (no pun intended, especially for Mr. W. Allen & a
very funny "speed reading" joke!
("I once took a speed reading course and read 'War and Peace' in twenty
minutes. It involves Russia.
Woody
p.s.: sorry, it's saturday morning, i just got up and i couldn't refrain
from posting it.") :))

The top quote makes, I believe, two important points, one (accidental,
no doubt, I do not mean to embarrass here, because I make my share of
mistakes, no doubt, this internet medium, conducted on the fly);  a good
choice of a font, that makes ones works stand out... with a bad choice
of grammar, well... probably, 'nuff said there. But the point about the
choice of font for, say, "the guarantee" is, when you think about it
some amount, interesting... because many selling something, have
historically *not* wanted certain text to be (very) legible... Look at
the drug ads in the big glossy magazines for some further example...
*but be sure to try to get through the potentially adverse effects
section,* if there is any doubt as to some amount of intentionality in
choice of font & size... (tiny, dark, crowded (kerning), etc.), I mean,
who the heck would want to use that "medicine" when you could, from
taking it, be going bald, lose sleep, smell bad, lose sexual desire,
become incontinent, have a heart attack, etc., etc... ????

I think what has inspired me to think more carefully about fonts &
choices, is learning of  writers, *especially poets*  who did & do small
press publishing (to try to be clearer here, one function of poetry,
from my view point, is & or can be, to help clean house with word
usage/meaning)... who have (sometimes) tried to think through more
profoundly (& as some of this has been rather experimental, or with
limited availability of resources, not necessarily successful), as to
what the possible effect of fonts has been, along with the
imagery/symbolic/meaning/sound functions of words, their energy
construct potential, etc... i.e., a choice of font & scale, spacing, is
not necessarily just an aesthetically motivated choice, but an
understanding (somehow) that the words them selves are images... &
deserve appropriate treatment to help render appropriate meaning/s.
Advertising, all too often, does similarly, but often tends to divorce
the word/s from thoughtful meaning, i.e., to encourage unquestioned
consumption/s.

For what it's worth.

Henry

P.s., & I do agree with Gregory (from the above quote)... the font
business seems a balancing act.