[scribus] Scribus and Google summer of code application: 2 or 4?

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer at gmx.de
Fri Aug 14 05:20:33 CEST 2009

Am Donnerstag, 13. August 2009 17:41:53 schrieb silvio grosso:
> Hello everybody,
>
> Sorry for the "strange" question but I would like to know how many Google
> summer of code project have been developing this year.
>
> Reading this Google's link
> (http://socghop.appspot.com/org/home/google/gsoc2009/scribus_team) it seems
> that there are only 2 projects accepted. On the contrary, reading the link
> provided in the Scribus website (that is,
> http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/GSoC_2009_Accepted_Applications) it seems
> there are 4 projects accepted. Maybe this link is outdated? In particular,
> these 4 projects  are: "Search and replace", "Improving pdf export",
> "Better masterpages", "Implementing xps support". Only the first 2 projects
> are listed everywhere. The last 2 are missing (that is, Better masterpages
> and Implementing XPS support, are missing in the Google's link).
>
> Needless to say I do hope the right number is 4 projects and not 2 because
> I am a Scribus's user :-)
>
> This being said, THANKS a lot for making Scribus a wonderful software.
> I do like it and, at work,  I suggested all my colleagues to try it :-)

Two projects have been completed during Summer of Code, namely PDF export and
Search & Replace. The other two projects could not be finished, because life
got in the way of the students, but they will probably be finished outside
the GSoC schedule.

In addition, thanks to the support of Sarai (http://www.sarai.net/) and NIXI
(http://www.nixi.in/) we were able to secure funding for two other student
projects, one dealing with XPress Tag, Xtag, INX and IDML import, and another
one being direct import of ODT and SXW documents (as opposed to the current
text-only import).

However, do not expect any of these features to be included in Scribus in the
near future, because even the finished projects still need some polishing and
coordination with the development in other parts of the program. Moreover, we
still have to integrate the three successful projects from last year's GSoC,
namely UniConvertor/GraphicksMagick support, Picture Browser, and
Scripter-NG.

HTH

Christoph