[scribus] Trying to get 1.3.5 to put on Ubuntu machine

Henry W. Peters hwpeters at jamadots.com
Thu Aug 13 21:05:09 CEST 2009

StevenD wrote:
> Henry W. Peters wrote:
>>>>
>>> I downloaded at this address... worked fine. Question now for me (or
>>> anyone) on Ubuntu 9.04, I assume you need/should to uninstall
>>> Scribus v. 1.3.3.13 (or whatever version one has), manually (i.e.,
>>> manual build does not do this), & can I do this through the
>>> "Synaptic Manager"? & probably main question; is there need to also
>>> install newer dependencies, ghostwriter, etc. ?
>>
>> Well, I used 'GDebi Package Installer' once it was downloaded, to
>> install Scribus 1.3.5 into my Ubuntu 9.04 system... this also,
>> apparently, as far as I can determine, updated or removed the
>> previous version (1.3.3.13)... & seems so far to be working well.
>>
>> My initial question now is, what are the possibilities for different
>> fonts (i.e., resources to look into)? Other than that, thanks much
>> for the beautiful new/fresh looking program! & the Wiki pages are
>> very helpful... to get one (re)started in doing work.
>>
>> Henry
> I used the same (GDebi Package Installer) to get mine installed and
> have also been wondering about other fonts. I guess I need to read up
> on how to install fonts on Ubuntu. At least I hope there is something
> that will address that issue. Anyway Scribus looks good so far.
>
> StevenD

For what it is worth, I have just found a font management program that
looks promising... to my eye;  'Fontmatrix' at:

http://www.fontmatrix.net/

& there are explicit instructions for installation on debian/ubuntu
Linux at:

http://svn.gna.org/svn/undertype/trunk/tools/typotek/debian-ubuntu-install.txt

This can also be installed from the 'Add/Remove' menu, but it is an
older version, the newer one appears to be somewhat better worked out,
from the limited testing I did, & read at the link above.

As I am aware that, at least on previous versions of Scribus, there are
sometimes important font issues... I am now assuming if I run into some
such difficulty, I can disable the offending critter/s with a
fontmanager such as the one I mention, in Scribus? I did use, when on
older Mac OS, years ago, Adobe ATM & another related such program, I'm
for the moment, forgetting the name, which also did checking for font
corruption/s, which in that Mac world, could be insidious problems...
i.e., cause system crashes.

Henry