[scribus] Center text vertically?

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Wed Aug 12 16:32:32 CEST 2009

On Tuesday 11 August 2009 10:08:06 pm John Jason Jordan wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 20:11:19 -0400
>
> John Culleton <john at wexfordpress.com> dijo:

> > > Do you mean rotating it 90 degrees for a book spine? That is
> > > easy, and is explained in both the help files and my e-book.
> > > Do you mean centering a line or lines of text in the frame?
> > > For that you use the little icon in the story editor. There
> > > are five, left justified, center justified, right justified,
> > > full justification like a novel etc.  or full justification
> > > with the last line forced to be full length. You use the
> > > center justified icon.
> > >
> > > If you mean stacked letters like an old fashioned hotel sign
> > > then choose the center justified icon and put each character
> > > on its own line.  I just tried it and it works fine.
> >
> > If you mean putting a line of text in the center of a frame
> > with significant vertical height then I would just reduce the
> > height till the text disappears, and then increase the height
> > until the text reappears again. I do that all the time.
>
> Sorry, I guess I was not clear.
>
> I am creating pages containing ten flash cards per page, on
> perforated paper. It is for a student workbook, and the idea is
> for students to be able to pull the sheets out of the book and
> tear them apart on the perforations.
>
> It would be perfect to use the Table feature for this. But I need
> the text on each side of the flash cards centered horizontally
> and vertically. Horizontal is no problem, but thanks to Gregory,
> I now know that vertical centering is apparently not yet a
> feature. I could fake it, but the number of lines of text varies
> on each flash card, and there are 150 of them.
>
> I'll just do them in a table in OOo. I'd rather use Scribus
> because a table that runs to the edges of the page in OOo is
> painful. But that's the best solution I guess.

This job is easy in pdftex. Something like:
\vfil
\centerline{this is the text}
\centerline{this is some more text}
\vfil\eject/
\vfil
\centerline{this is the next flash card}
\vfil\eject

... and so on.

Scribus is great for many tasks. Yours isn't one of them.

--
John Culleton
Create Book Covers with Scribus/e-book $5.95