[scribus] Kerning with combining diacriticals

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Wed Aug 12 09:28:05 CEST 2009

On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 13:59:07 -0400
John Culleton <john at wexfordpress.com> dijo:

> On Sunday 09 August 2009 07:42:01 pm John Jason Jordan wrote:
> > Using 1.3.5 Rc3 on Jaunty.
> > If you followed me so far you should see that the circle is
> > centered under the n, but not under the l or the m.
> >
> > As an exercise to see what I am talking about, type "plosive" and
> > put a voiceless diacritic under the l. Now kern the diacritic and
> > the l so the diacritic is centered (about -8% should do it). The
> > diacritic will be centered, but the l will suddenly be spaced too
> > far from the p. That is because to select the diacritic you also
> > have to select the l.

> There is a LaTeX exit in 1.3.5 that allows you to use TeX style
> commands.  Han The Thanh manages to print his name and the
> stacked Vietnam diacritical marks with TeX code like this:
> {H\`an Th\^e\llap{\raise 0.5ex\hbox{\'{}}Th\`anh}
>
> Wierd, yes, but it works after enough research and effort.
> Whe all else fails  do it in TeX.

This may work if I can figure it out. Unfortunately, I know zero about
TeX.

At this point I just need to get combining diacriticals for syllabic
(329) and voiceless (325) correctly centered on an l or an m. For
letters like n or r the spacing of the combining diacritical is
perfect. Note that I do not need stacking at all.

When you say "there is a LaTeX exit in 1.3.5" I do not know what you
mean. Or are you referring to the formula generator? And bear in mind
that I need the character with its diacritical in ordinary text. I
assume the code you stated above will do this. Would I enter the code
in Story Editor and then the actual glyphs will appear in the canvas?

Is there a place where can I read up on the syntax for TeX that I need
without having to spend a year studying it?