[scribus] Disappearing Images

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 11 13:58:40 CEST 2009

On 08/11/2009 06:16 AM, André Lategan wrote:
> I produce a weekly club bulletin of about five or six pages. Roughly
> six weeks ago I started experiencing a new phenomenon.  Images that I
> have imported into picture frames simply disappear after a while and I
> have to re-import them. It is never all the pictures - just some, and
> the timing seems random. In one case I was looking at the screen,
> hands off the keyboard and mouse, and a picture simply vanished out of
> the frame as I watched. It's a pain - I have to scroll back
> occasionally to check if my pictures are still in.
>
> When it first happened, I deleted Scribus and reloaded the latest
> version - 1.3.3.13. This didn't make a difference. I am using Windows XP.
> I searched the Internet and the Scribus mailing list archives, to no
> avail. Clearly it must be something about my set-up.
>
> Any ideas, please?
If you go to Extras > Manage Images, it should show you if Scribus
thinks it has an image for a frame, perhaps give some clue as to where
it thinks it is, and even help you locate them.

If you move the Scribus document or move the image folder outside of
Scribus (eg, with a file manager), it will lose track of where things
are. Scribus finds images by relative paths from where the document file
is. I have seen some instances in the past where it got confused by a
complex relative path, but not recently.

It also can be useful to set up folders for images and other content so
that they are not far from the document folder. Finally, File > Collect
for Output can also be helpful.

Greg