[scribus] LSI 240% ink limit.

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Sun Aug 9 00:52:25 CEST 2009

On Saturday 08 August 2009 04:54:09 pm Hal V. Engel wrote:
> On Saturday 08 August 2009 12:07:59 pm John Culleton wrote:

> > > I don't know that there are any color sets that come with
> > > Scribus that will exceed this. Of course, we get some list
> > > questions from some who think that they want all the CMYK
> > > saturated, but obviously don't understand the printing issue.
> > >
> > > What it does suggest, though, is that one of the things the
> > > Preflight Verifier could do would be to check for ink limits.
> > > Maybe you could file an RFE.
> > >
> > > Not sure how they might imagine someone specifying > 100%
> > > Black...seems that would be kicked out by the printing
> > > equipment.
> > >
> > > Greg

> > Consider the image from Gimp that has black on it. That is RGB
> > 0 0 0. What would Scribus change it to in CMYK?
>
> There seems to be some misconceptions here.  CMYK is a
> subtractive color space so higher values mean more ink (if you
> are talking about a printer).  The K ink in a CMYK system is used
> as a substitute for higher levels of process gray (C = M = Y) to
> create darker tones and reduce ink load for the same darkness.
> Many printer/ink/paper combinations can handle total ink levels
> much higher than the 240% talked about above but some can not and
> some can not handle even 240%.
>
> The darkest blacks on most printers are a combination of K plus C
> and M (sometimes called rich black).  In addition on many modern
> ink jet printers the "black" ink has a yellow tint that is
> intended to allow these very dark blacks without causing a hue
> shift because of the added C and M ink (IE. to keep the resultant
> black neutral). The normal operation for these printers is to
> always mix some C and M ink with the K ink to shift the hue
> toward neutral even for lighter grays although for the very
> lightest grays this may not be needed because the white point
> will be shifted toward blue (IE. away from yellow) because of the
> "whiteners" used in many papers.
>
> All of this is very device specific, meaning specific to a
> printer/paper/ink/work flow, and the only way to insure that you
> are doing the right CMYK separation for your device is to use the
> correct ICC profile for the device in question.  These profiles
> will have an optimized GCR setup and also have proper ink limits
> so that there is no over inking and there are proper transitions
> to the K ink as well as proper use of C and M inks to keep grays
> and blacks neutral.
>
> Hal

LSI wants the SWOP profile but also enforces the 240% rule for cover
files.  They have an ink and paper combo that requires this limit.
The usual way to make sure that their specs are met is through
Photoshop.  I am looking for a Scribus way.

--
John Culleton
Create Book Covers with Scribus/e-book $5.95