[scribus] Scribus Limits, Present and Future

John Beardmore John at T4sLtd.co.uk
Sat Aug 8 20:59:32 CEST 2009

John Morris wrote:
> John Beardmore wrote
>> John Morris wrote:

>>> 1. It sounds to me from a.l.e's and John Beardmore's comments that I
>>> should not expect Scribus to smoothly handle any single file of more
>>> than about 50 or 60 pages, regardless of the linkages between text
>>> boxes. Is that correct?
>>
>> Actually I didn't even notice Scribus slowing down (apart from load
>> time) for 50 to 60 page documents, but my runs of link text frames
>> never run to more than a few pages, and I generally have a lot of
>> graphs and photographs.
>
>   Thanks for the feedback. This is clearly an avenue I'll have to
> explore when I have the time. This does remind me that I forgot to ask
> about the nature of the limitation. This seems to be saying that the
> program is expected to slow down but continue to do the work as the
> document gets larger. Do the limitations manifest themselves in other
> ways, such as crashing, simply refusing to accept more pages or links,
> or something else?

For me, Scribus hasn't crashed since 1.3.3.9 or 1.3.3.10.

Editing in text boxes seemed to get quite tricky as if there were
latency after clicking on something which made it hard to know if the
click had the desired effect or not.

>> It would be interesting to try importing some really long passages
>> into Scribus linked text frames, to try and tease out if the thing
>> that slows it down is number of pages, density of characters, or
>> number of linked frames etc.
>
>   This is certainly something I will try when I have the time. I will
> report my results to this group if I have not seen others cover the
> subject sooner.

Thanks !

Cheers, J/.
Energy Audit, Carbon Management, Design Advice, Sustainable Energy
Consultancy and Installation, Carbon Trust Standard Registered Assessor