[scribus] LSI 240% ink limit.

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 8 17:58:40 CEST 2009

On 08/08/2009 11:57 AM, John Culleton wrote:
> On Friday 07 August 2009 07:19:29 pm John Culleton wrote:
>
>> LSI is enforcing a rule that total ink coverage of any CMYK color
>> cannot exceed 240% The usual example is rich black.
>>
>> 1. Can this be a problem in Scribus?
>> 2. If so, how does one detect/fix such overcolored areas?
>>
>> I presume that none of the standard colors exceed this limit. But
>> I worry about graphics from e.g., Gimp which are RGB converted to
>> CMYK when Scribus writes the file.
>>
> To further illuminate the question, these are the recommended values
> whan using Photoshop:
> ------------------------
> Engine: Adobe (ACE)
> Intent: Relative Colorimetric
> Use Black Point Compensation: Yes
> Use Dither: Yes
> -------------------------------
> and
> -----------------------------------
>      Ink Colors: SWOP (Newsprint)
>      Dot Gain: 25%
>      Separation Type: GCR
>      Black Generation: Medium
>      Black Ink Limit: 100%
>      Total Ink Limit: 240%
>      UCA Amount: 0%
> -------------------------------
> for the custom CMYK settings.
>
> Perhaps there is an ICC profile that can take care of all this.

I don't know that there are any color sets that come with Scribus that
will exceed this. Of course, we get some list questions from some who
think that they want all the CMYK saturated, but obviously don't
understand the printing issue.

What it does suggest, though, is that one of the things the Preflight
Verifier could do would be to check for ink limits. Maybe you could file
an RFE.

Not sure how they might imagine someone specifying > 100% Black...seems
that would be kicked out by the printing equipment.

Greg