[scribus] 2 questions: master pages & text flow odd/even pages

John Morris johnjeff at editide.us
Fri Aug 7 23:08:44 CEST 2009

John Culleton wrote:
>Scribus is not the DTP tool for all uses. The page length limitation
>is only part of it. There are the questions of footnotes, of
>indexes  (sometimes multiple in the same document), of multiple
>TOCs in the same document, of oversize pdf files and so on. For
>those needs TeX is the instrument of choice at least for me. But I
>love Scribus for book covers, newsletters and the like.

   As I mentioned before, I'm very new to Scribus, so still trying to
understand exactly what Scribus is. So far, I have understood Scribus
to be more like Quark XPress or InDesign than Illustrator or
Freehand. What about Scribus makes you prefer it over a straight
vector drawing package such as Inkscape (of which I know almost
nothing except that it is not very close to 1.0 yet) in the
open-source universe or Illustrator in the commercial universe?
   I'm relatively new to most open-source products, but I have been
doing DTP with commercial products for some years. I would much
prefer to use Illustrator, Freehand or CorelDraw to design covers
over Quark, PageMaker or InDesign. My understanding is that Scribus
is more like the latter three products than the former three products.

Thanks,
John