[scribus] Scribus Limits, Present and Future

John Beardmore John at T4sLtd.co.uk
Fri Aug 7 18:17:01 CEST 2009

John Morris wrote:

> 1. It sounds to me from a.l.e's and John Beardmore's comments that I
> should not expect Scribus to smoothly handle any single file of more
> than about 50 or 60 pages, regardless of the linkages between text
> boxes. Is that correct?

Actually I didn't even notice Scribus slowing down (apart from load
time) for 50 to 60 page documents, but my runs of link text frames never
run to more than a few pages, and I generally have a lot of graphs and
photographs.

I'm left with the impression that at least on a 2.4 Ghz machine with 4
gig of RAM, it could do bigger docs.  It was noticeably poorer in its
performance on a 1.8 GHz box with 2 gig of RAM, but that was back in the
days of 1.3.3.9 so things may have got better, and I've seen it work  on
P/III boxes at 800HMz too, though I've not played much in that environment.

Editing within Scribus has been clunky but usable since before I started
using it, but has improved steadily.  Groups of linked text frames can
be a bit grumpy to edit, but I've never had significant problems.

It would be interesting to try importing some really long passages into
Scribus linked text frames, to try and tease out if the thing that slows
it down is number of pages, density of characters, or number of linked
frames etc.

A lot of advice on this seems a bit anecdotal, possibly based on old
versions, and possibly pessimistic.  I'd experiment to find out before
embarking of a big project, but I'd be surprised if you couldn't do it,
and you may not even need to split the work.  Maybe start off with a
couple of 50 page chapters ?  Feedback might inform priorities for
future development (or let us know how far we've come !), so would
probably be of use to the wider community too.

Cheers, J/.
Energy Audit, Carbon Management, Design Advice, Sustainable Energy
Consultancy and Installation, Carbon Trust Standard Registered Assessor