[scribus] 2 questions: master pages & text flow odd/even pages

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 7 03:50:37 CEST 2009

On 08/06/2009 09:21 PM, Ciro Soto wrote:
> Q1:
> I am trying to layout my first full book in scribus (I only used it as
> cover design before).
> I created 100 blank pages. Then I created two master pages (following
> instructions from The Official Manual). Then I went back to the pages
> and assigned the master pages to the odd and even pages.
> They looked fine, but I cannot edit the pages! The text frames are
> unlocked, but I can't input any text in there...
> What is the step I am missing?

Variable content does not go on Master Pages, only fixed things, like
headers, page numbers, various graphics items. In a sense, they are the
background for other page content.

http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Working_with_Master_Pages
> Q2:
> Assuming I resolve the first issue above. I want text to flow only in
> the odd pages, and leave the even pages for another text flow (imagine
> I am writing a bilingual book, even pages in language1 and odd pages
> in language2.  Can I do that automatically? Or do I have to do it
> manually?

What you are talking about is selective linking of content. While you
may have text frames on every page or only some, you make your links to
flow the text to whichever frames are appropriate.
You probably don't want to create automatic text frames, since this will
link the pages in sequence and you'll just have to break the links and
start over.

http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Working_with_text_frames#Linking_One_Frame_to_Another

Greg