[scribus] Cutting the same hole in many layers

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Wed Aug 5 04:25:04 CEST 2009

On Tuesday 04 August 2009 08:14:56 pm W. F. Zimmerman wrote:
> ISBNs are always a hassle for me because I start out with a
> single layer EPS from LSI.  So I have to cut and paste the ISBN
> to the top layer, an error-prone and irritating process.
> Life would be ever so much easier if there was a way to cut a box
> on the top layer that "drills through" all the succeeding layers
> to reveal the ISBN underneath.  Has anyone ever come across a
> Scribus script that does this? Any ideas how to write it?
>
> Fred

Don't bother with the LSI template. Instead use the dimensions from
this calculator
http://wexfordpress.net/template.html
to lay out your cover directly in Scribus, complete with guides.
It's free.

Many publishers don't use the LSI template, because of problems like
yours. I once succeeded in ungrouping the LSI template and moving
the bar code, but never succeeded thereafter.

Leave a white rectangle about 2.5 x 1.5 inches on the back cover
near the spine and LSI will place the barcode for you.  That's the
safest course.  More details are available in my e-book advertised
below but the above should be enough to get you on your way.

--
John Culleton
Create Book Covers with Scribus/e-book $5.95