[scribus] Newbie Mac User

John Morris johnjeff at editide.us
Tue Aug 4 06:08:10 CEST 2009

Jeffrey Silverman wrote
>- Try Crossover Office. I really works for running Windows apps --
>especially Office -- on Linux (and Mac OS, actaully)

   Yes, I've seen this. I'm not sure it would help me as it helps one
run Windows apps on another platform. That's not my goal.

>- Don't take this the wrong way (not that there is any other way to
>take a statement that starts with the disclaimer "don't take this the
>wrong way") but you guys sound like a bunch of crotchety geezers. "I
>don't want to run any computer that won't support my IBM 1442 Card
>Read-Punch Model 1".  Just saying...

   I think you are starting to get the picture.

>- The web is the new OS. Most OS choices are already irrelevant.
>(Might not be true for crotchety geezers still using punch card
>readers).

   John Beardmore spoke my mind on this issue in many ways, but I'll
add a few points he did not cover.

1. In the places I frequent, my connection to the web is way too slow
for it to serve as a replacement for local apps for serious work. In
the area where I live, I'm one of the lucky ones to get 1.5Mbps and
the local provider has no plans to upgrade in the near future. If I
don't like that, there's always satellite at about 400Kbps. When I
travel, I usually get a similar connection speed. There are two
places where I get a significantly faster connection, my sister's and
my bother-in-law's. There I get 16Mbps and 21Mbps, which brings me to
my second point.

2. Even on a connection that is more than an order of magnitude
faster than my current connection, web servers are dog slow. I'm not
likely to trade in a fast local hard drive for the "wonders" of the
Internet for real production work. That means, for the foreseeable
future, my OS choice is very relevant to my overal computer
experience, even if I do retire my punch-card reader.

>- System 6????

   The sixth instance of the Macintosh System.

>- Check out Distrowatch: http://www.distrowatch.com

   I had seen this one. I was mainly struck by the number of things
that website tried to sell me.

Best,
John