[scribus] Newbie Mac User

John Beardmore John at T4sLtd.co.uk
Sun Aug 2 15:26:30 CEST 2009

Jeffrey Silverman wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 8:26 AM, John Beardmore <John at t4sltd.co.uk> wrote:
>> Jeffrey Silverman wrote:

>> <snip!>
>> :)  The messing about required to get a root login is frustration enough
>> for anybody who grew up with debian !
>
> "Messing about"? It is REALLY REALLY simple, maybe even simpler than Debian,
> to get a root login, if one really wants.

I did really want. Every *nix I've ever worked with sets up root and
possibly one other user. Forcing you to use google to find out how to
set up a root login strikes me as naff.

> I'm not talking "root login at
> GDM" though. If that's what you want, then stick with Debian. IMO, the whole
> root login thing is an area where Ubuntu made some good choices.

:)   Well, that's a matter of religious difference we probably shouldn't
air in the scribus list.

>> One of the recent Ubuntus seemed to screw up installation of the network if
>> you wanted fixed IP addresses.
>>
>> There are ways around these things, but maybe better to be less 'friendly'
>> in the first place, hence my interest in mint if it's better tested.  (8.04
>> or 8.10 ?)
>
> I doubt Mint would fix that sort of problem. In Mint, if something
> fundamental is broken in Ubuntu, it seems to stay broken in Mint.

OK.

> Also, Ubuntu 9.04 is significantly better than either 2008 release.

Thanks. Maybe I'll have play with one or the other then.

Cheers, J/.
Energy Audit, Carbon Management, Design Advice, Sustainable Energy
Consultancy and Installation, Carbon Trust Standard Registered Assessor