[scribus] Newbie Mac User

John Morris johnjeff at editide.us
Sat Aug 1 18:19:28 CEST 2009

John Culleton wrote:
>I have four switchable desktops, each one measuring 1280 x 1024. I
>usually run a 640 x 480 or 800 x 600 viewport into the current
>desktop and ramble around on the larger desktop with the mouse.
>I can switch between desktops with one detent rotation of the mouse
>wheel on empty space.

   I'm sure that works very well for you, but it
is very different from my workspace. Over the
years, I have gradually worked my way up to a
larger and larger desktop and each step has been
better than the last. I currently work with
1920x1200.* For those times when my main monitor
is not big enough, I run a second monitor that
has also grown over the years. It is currently at
1900x1440. Running that second monitor all the
time has always felt too extravagant, so it only
comes on a few times a month.
   I doubt that I fully understand what you mean
by a "800 x 600 viewport into the current
desktop," but I think I get the basic idea. I
also doubt that I would be at all happy rambling
around such a small window on the desktop. I
suspect that this would be similar to zooming in
on my current desktop and then moving around with
the mouse. I occasionally do that for fine work
or to read especially small print. I have even
considered using that as my main desktop, but
never seriously. As I said before, I like having
everything available on a large desktop.

Tornóci László wrote:
>One annoying thing though: every time I start
>Scribus, all the small windows are piled up on
>the left monitor, I need to drag them to the
>right before I start working.

   That would be annoying, probably enough so that
I would find a different way to arrange things. I
have not yet tried this on my system, so I don't
know how it would work.

John

*Ironically, my current desktop is a step down
from the last, which was 1920x1440. I made this
step because I could get it in a laptop and
because it appears that if I ever make the leap
to an LCD monitor, it will probably be running at
1920x1200. For environmental reasons I really
like using the laptop as my main machine; the
loss of 240 pixels is a small price to pay to
save 300 KWHr a year.