[scribus] scribus Digest, Vol 13, Issue 51

Markus W. Barth markus at sismografo.es
Mon Apr 27 06:01:31 CEST 2009

The solution to run scribus in its default language doesn't work for me.
Instead of answering myself (again - I have already described the problem in
earlier occasions), I' ll just post links to comments about the prob - this
may probably give more detailed information about the problem (and its
extents). By the way, I had exactly the same problem with scribus on suse
before i switched to ubuntu and I have also tried the scribus-ng package with
1.3.5 from the repositories, having exactly the same problem.

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-es/2008-July/030966.html
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-es/2008-May/029876.html
http://lists.scribus.net/pipermail/scribus/2005-May/013494.html
http://llistes.cpl.upc.edu/pipermail/ubuntucat-info/2008-February/009201.html
http://llistes.cpl.upc.edu/pipermail/ubuntucat-info/2008-February/009227.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-user-catalan@lists.debian.org/msg06967.html
http://llistes.softcatala.org/pipermail/linux/2007-May/000005.html
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/scribus/+bug/177805

By the way: I have tried out any hint and trick proposed in all the posts I
have found, without success.

The
http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Getting_Scribus_on_Ubuntu/Kubuntu_up_and_running
doesn't say anything about the problem either.

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 17:16:52 +0200
> From: "Markus W. Barth" <markus at sismografo.es>
> Subject: [scribus] compose keys bug finally solved in the new versions
> To: scribus at lists.scribus.net
>
> with the new versions soon to be out, is there any chance that *** compose
> key bugs for accented characters is solved? If you google a bit around you
> will find a _lot_ of complaints of french, spanish, portuguese and
> brasilian users about that problem and I am afraid all those users (or
> possible users) get a bit tired of ubuntu saying its a scribus problems,
> scribus saying its a qt problem, trolltech saying its an ubuntu problem
> (fill in here yourself all the possible combinations of shifting the
> problem between those three).

> All I can say is that I'm using a Compose key on Fedora 9 and 10 on
> various computers without problems.
>
> Greg
>

> > All I can say is that I'm using a Compose key on Fedora 9 and 10 on
> > various computers without problems.
>
> I use the heavily-warned-against-here 1.3.4-based scribus-ng package on
> Kubuntu intrepid (also heavily-warned-against-here), and accents and
> characters created with the compose key seem to work just fine.
>
> Is there a particular bug you have in mind? I tried a few things and they
> all seemed to work.
>
>   Doc

there seams to be an easy fix for it: just run scribus in its default
language (which -- at the end -- is english).

iirc -- and if the situation hasn't changed in the last few years --
this will solve your problem.
afaik, it's a problem related to way ubuntu patches qt, so scribus has
really no control over it!

on the sunny side, i guess that the issue should be solved with qt 4,
so future releases of scribus should automatically work correctly!