[scribus] Performance

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 21 13:46:46 CEST 2009

David Liell wrote:
> Submitted on 04/21/2009 - 08:31
> Submitted by anonymous user: [210.10.163.99]
>
> Submitted values are:
>
>    Your contact information:
>      Name: David Liell
>      Email Address: opus9743 at gmail.com
>    About your Scribus program:
>      Version: <p>1.3.3.12</p>
>      Prebuilt/Compiled: Prebuilt
>      Build Date:
>    Your operating system and CPU:
>      Type: Linux
>      Version: ubuntu 8.10
>      CPU type: 32bit  Intel/AMD (i386)
>    Your request content:
>      Subject: Performance
>      Message:
> My wife is producing a 100+ page book with 100+ pictures. All is going fine
> and she is very pleased. This is her first go at Scribus. Just a small
> request. Resizing image frames takes a long time. Is there any setup or
> install option that would speed this up?
> Thanks for a great product

Working with a 100 page document in Scribus can be challenging to say
the least. We generally recommend making smaller sub-documents (maybe 30
or so pages), exporting to PDF, then final assembly of those pieces
outside of Scribus with pdftk or similar.

Meanwhile, reducing image display resolution may help screen updates a
bit. For an individual frame, right-click to bring up the context menu,
and under Preview Settings, switch to Low Resolution. For a
document-wide change, go to File > Document Settings > Tools > Image
frame icon for the same setting. Also, you can elect to have images you
are not working on not be visible -- once again, Context Menu > uncheck
Image Visible. Images which are not visible in this manner will still be
exported to PDF.

Greg