[scribus] Announce: Scribus 1.3.3.13 and First 1.3.5 Beta Release

mrdocs mrdocs at scribus.info
Tue Apr 21 08:36:06 CEST 2009

The Scribus Team is pleased to announce the release of Scribus
1.3.3.13 and the first beta release of 1.3.5 from the development series.

  -- 1.3.3.13 / stable release --

This release add the following:
* Several fixes and improvements to gradients and PDF export.
* More translation and documentation updates.
* Improvements to the Scripter to enable more features.

In addition to the release of a new stable version, the Scribus Documentation
Team has recently completed its task and published a 450-page printed Official
Scribus Manual for Scribus 1.3.3.x. The book is the most complete
documentation of Scribus's many features so far. It's available for orders
directly from the publisher (http://www.flesbooks.com/scribus1.3manual) or via
online bookstores.

  -- The first 1.3.5 beta release --

Concurrently, the team is pleased to announce the long awaited first
beta of the 1.3.5 development branch which will eventually lead towards the
next  stable 1.4.x release.

1.3.5 is a major release with many new features, a rewritten canvas
and text layout engine and a complete port of Scribus to QT4. Almost 1000 bugs
and feature requests were resolved during this release. Notably, performance
and stability are dramatically improved on MacOSX.

While we are not announcing a complete string freeze for the 1.3.5
release, we would encourage translators to begin the process as the time to
1.3.5 release is close with all roadmap issues now resolved. We expect a total
string freeze within a week.

With 1.3.5, the minimum Qt version supported is Qt 4.4.0, so
installing it on older linux distributions may be difficult. In
addition users should  be warned that 1.3.3.x cannot open 1.3.5 files.
So users are recommended to only use backups or duplicate copies when
opening older version files with 1.3.5.

We now recommend all distributions package only Scribus 1.3.3.13. We
would only recommend packaging 1.3.5svn releases if they are marked as
experimental or development only.

  -- Primary Download Location --
Binaries, Source and some rpms (updated today):
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=125235
* OS/2 packages are expected soon there too.

  -- Further Download Options --
Upstream Debian/Ubuntu repo: http://debian.scribus.net
Ubuntu users are advised to see:
http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Getting_Scribus_on_Ubuntu/Kubuntu_up_and_running

Fedora 9,10 RPMS:

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/mrdocs/Fedora_9/
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/mrdocs/Fedora_10/

openSUSE RPMS SLE 10& SLE 11,11.0,11.1:
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/mrdocs

Mandriva 2009
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/mrdocs/Mandriva_2009/

MacOSX: http://aqua.acribus.net

Windows 2000/XP: http://www.scribus.net

  -- Source Verification --
sha1sums:
fc6c59f58253bf75c79e3ad6001951190f248c74  scribus-1.3.3.13.7z
75ab40fdf9c93de1243f1dc018a5e245f99ec85a  scribus-1.3.3.13.tar.bz2
5700b3b1ec380a130f3fa7c708bb8606bda8afbd  scribus-1.3.5.beta.7z
c352eebb61cffd7e3071c369d1dcddc2a7be9d5b  scribus-1.3.5.beta.tar.bz2

The Scribus Team would also like to thank - Anduin.net/Øverby
Consulting for their continued hosting of all of the Scribus websites.

The Scribus Team would also like to thank the many end users,
translators, testers and contributors who helped us with this
release.

About Scribus

Scribus is a cross-platform open source page layout application with a
focus on high quality commercial grade PDF and postscript export.
Originally developed on Linux, Scribus runs natively on MacOSX,
OS/2, most forms of Unix and Windows 2000/XP.

Underneath the modern and user friendly interface, Scribus supports
professional publishing features, such as CMYK color, spot colors,
separations, ICC color management and versatile PDF creation. Scribus
was the first page layout application on the planet to directly support
PDF/X-3 output, a rigorous ISO standard. Scribus did so by almost a year.