[scribus] Quotes and apostrophes

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sat Apr 18 05:01:37 CEST 2009

On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 09:51:31 +1000
Owen <rcook at pcug.org.au> dijo:

> On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 15:58:37 +1000 (EST)
> "Owen" <rcook at pcug.org.au> wrote:

> > > How do I get curly quotes and apostrophes? Is this part of a
> > > paragraph or character style?
> > >
> > > It works OK if I write in OOo and paste into Scribus. But I just
> > > wrote a couple paragraphs directly in Scribus and I can't find the
> > > option to use curly quotes instead of inch marks.

> > In the text editor, go to Insert->Glyph and see if you can work it out
> > from there. They are 201C/D and 2018/9.
> >
> > The F12 may not work for you cos that is an Ubuntu problem I think
>
> Correction
>
> The Ctrl+Shift+U key is used to insert special characters in 1.3.5
>
> Check your File->Preferences->Keyboard shortcuts

Thanks. I already knew about Ctrl-Shift-u. I do that a lot. In fact,
one of the reasons I am using 1.3.5svn is because Ctrl-Shift-u works as
it does on all my other Linux apps, where in 1.3.3.12 it does not. I
need to insert a lot of special characters for linguistics work.

But that is not what I was looking for. I assumed that "typographer's
quotes" would be an option somewhere. Like I could turn it on and then
Scribus would always use the typographer's quotes when I am typing - no
need to insert a special character.

I can't find the option anywhere. I know it is not trivial to add a
feature like this, but all word processors do it, so it should be
possible. Does it exist as an option somewhere in Scribus?