[scribus] feedback on the book

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Fri Apr 17 20:05:31 CEST 2009

from Michael Harvey's note:

Re: all you people desperate for the Scribus manual, in my opinion the
book is nice but it is no Rosetta stone. I am not a programmer or even
much of a computer user and I had figured out most of what I needed with
ver. 1.3.3.12 before I got the book. The few sections I might still need
help with (tables of contents, automatic page numbering) are poorly
described in the book. I think with help on this list, and common sense,
you will learn most of what you need.

--
Michael Harvey
Victoria, BC, Can.

I think we can handle negative criticism about the book, and no doubt some will be deserved. Things like TOCs and pagination are challenging to explain for a broad audience.

The one thing I would say though, is that, even having written much of the book and proofread it all, while one might think that I would have the entire contents memorized at this point, but I find myself time and again needing to refer to the book when someone asks a question on the list even when I think I know the answer, and often the book corrects me.
So it does serve as a learning tool for the novice and a reference for the experienced.

Greg