[scribus] Newbie Questions About Spreads

Patrick Ernst patrick at aroaustralia.com
Fri Apr 10 07:02:58 CEST 2009

Patrick Ernst wrote:
> wingsgroup wrote:
>
>> I am new to DTP and Scribus and needing to get a project done in the next 2.5
>> weeks. (I'm probably crazy!) Anyway, I have searched, but not really found
>> any good answers to my questions. My project is actually a homeschool group
>> yearbook and I am wanting to use two-page spreads for the section dividers.
>> It will be a picture across the pages with text running across. How do I go
>> about this without losing the text and making the picture look funny? I used
>> single pages for the setup and just put the picture and text right across as
>> I was designing it visually. I didn't do a lot yet because I realized that I
>> needed answers to these questions first. I read somewhere about bleeds and
>> so I did make my pages slightly bigger (the printer suggested .25 inches).
>> Someone suggested using margins for the gutter, but I am afraid that I might
>> get some white space showing. I would appreciate any help you can give!
>>

> Someone posted a list of open source books to another list I'm on. This
> one looked good and is relevant to DTP generally.
>
> The Digital Foundations of Graphics Design is a textbook on
>    Graphic Design using Inkscape, Gimp, Firefox and Processing,
>    released under a Creative Commons Licence. It’s strength is
>    that it is not just a manual for the programs, it’s actually
>    a course in graphic design.
> Link :
>    http://en.flossmanuals.net/DigitalFoundations

It has a section on Scribus too.
"This book is a mash-up of the Bauhaus Basic Course and open source
software such as Inkscape, Gimp,
Firefox, and Processing. We have taken some of the visual principles and
exercises from the Bauhaus Basic
Course and adapted them into exercises for these applications."

--
Patrick Ernst
ARO Australia Pty Ltd