[scribus] Formula in 1.3.5 (bug)

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Tue Apr 7 17:25:21 CEST 2009

On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 17:09:20 +1000 (EST)
"Owen" <rcook at pcug.org.au> dijo:

> > I finally figured out how to make a formula in 1.3.5. I did it with
> > the
> > following code, as a test:
> >
> > $\left[\begin{array}{l}
> > everything\\
> > something\\
> > anything\end{array}\right]$
> >
> > However, when I go to print the page I get a warning about the image.
> > The warning says:
> >
> > Render 10 object is a placed PDF.
> >
> > Of course it is not a placed PDF. It is a formula entered by clicking
> > on the TEX button. I can ignore the warning and it still prints.
> >
> > Also, the brackets are printing with a gap in the middle. The same
> > formula prints correctly from LyX (which is where I generated the
> > code,
> > 'cause I'm too stupid to write it myself).

> Does LyX allow you to produce a postscript file, for if it does, it
> maybe more appropriate to do that and import the ps as a vector file

Well, I think I have given up on creating the formulas in Scribus. The
resolution is terrible. My printer is 600 dpi, but even if I tell
Scribus to create the formula at 600 dpi it still prints washed out and
fuzzy. (Although the brackets did appear correct.) And it takes forever
to image in the printer. Even if I could somehow resolve that there is
a showstopper - I can't use the same font that I want to use in the
rest of the Scribus document.

I tried exporting from Lyx as PostScript and then importing into
Scribus, but I get more weird stuff. First, the PostScript file does
import and appear on screen. But on screen it appears fuzzy, so I am
suspecting that it is another bitmap. I can't really tell, however,
because the image does not print. The page comes out completely blank.
This is to both PostScript and PCL printers. I've never had anything
appear on screen in Scribus and fail to appear on the printed page
before, but there you have it.

Oh, and I cannot export from Lyx and include the font info when I
export as PostScript. That is because Lyx needs XeTeX to use system
fonts and XeTeX can't understand PostScript. The only way to export
from LyX with the corrrect fonts is to export to pdflatex and then use
xelatex to convert to PDF. So to get the PS file I used pdf2ps from the
command line. It may be there that it was converted to bitmap, but
pdf2ps has no options - all you can do is "pdf2ps <oldfile.pdf>
<newfile.ps>."

I don't know what to make of all this, but I do know that I am stuck.