[scribus] Darwin Information Typing Architecture (DITA) PlugIn, Adobe InDesign

avox avox at arcor.de
Mon Sep 29 13:23:50 CEST 2008

Steve Herrick wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 1:15 PM, avox <avox at arcor.de> wrote:
>> My idea is to allow *any* XML
>> and use the CSS 'display' and 'class' attributes to provide links
>> to Scribus's style system. On first import, Scribus could synthesize
>> Scribus-styles from existing CSS formatting.
>
> Well, *any* XML would encompass ODF and HTML, and I hope we can lump
> in plain text, too. My thinking was that Scribus would simply replace
> the existing characteristics, or better still, support them natively.
> I assume all CSS would have to be inline, to allow fine-grained
> control. Stylesheets would still exist, but to supply CSS that would
> be pasted into inline tags.
>
>> When saving, Scribus would use the 'class' attribute to point to a
>> Scribus
>> style. The 'display' attribute would control if that is a paragraph
>> style,
>> char style or other.
>
> I'm not sure why you'd need that. What's wrong with simply having a
> paragraph tag, an object tag, and a character tag?

Not sure what you mean by 'tag' here. An XML element or an attribute?

'display' is needed anyway to control the layout, for example it controls if
the
element is a block element (paragraph) or a inline element (character
sequence)
or none (nonvisible elements).

>> Direct formatting would be translated to CSS attributes
>> or to a limited set of Scribus specific custom attributes.
>> Unknown attributes would be preserved by Scribus. Element names would be
>> meaningless to Scribus, since anything Scribus needs to know will be in
>> the
>> attributes.
>
> Sounds good.
>
> Another thought just occurred to me: SVG is also XML. It makes my head
> hurt to think about applying CSS to SVG, though I can't think of any
> technical reason you wouldn't be able to.

Using SVG this way would be quite unsatisfactory for the user :-).
Textframes primarily display character content, the elements are just for
formatting and grouping. OTOH in SVG most content is defined by elements
without any character content. Vector data is not text data.

/Andreas