[scribus] hardware requirements

Mike Morris twriterext at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 08:33:32 CEST 2008

This is a question that may best be answered by one of the developers.
However, I can tell you that I have a Windows XP/Pro SP3 laptop with a 1.5
GHz Pentium M Processor and 2 GB of RAM.  It is by no means the latest and
greatest--and wasn't when I bought it used.  I have InDesign CS3, Photoshop
CS2, Scribus, FrameMaker 7.2 and many other odds and ends on this computer
for technical writing tools.

I frequently run InDesign and Photoshop simultaneously without problems.
When bought it, I was told to upgrade from 512 MB of RAM to 2 GB of RAM in
order to make that happen.  I did just that, and have had no problems so
far.

I am not--yet--an experienced Scribus user, but the projects I have
experimented with so far (business cards, single page flyer), have not taxed
either Scribus or the computer.  I intend to try a 12 page newsletter soon,
but I don't anticipate any problems.  Perhaps if you intend to create a 30
page (or 100 page) high quality, graphics intensive printed brochure you
might need more RAM or processor power.  I leave that to those more
knowledgeable about Scribus than I am.