[scribus] Best distro for 1.3.5

Owen rcook at pcug.org.au
Fri Sep 19 23:42:24 CEST 2008

> I am in a never ending chase trying to update my Qt 4 to keep up
with
> 1.3.5 svn on my Slackware system. Is there a distro out there,
stable
> or unstable, that updates Qt as often as Scribus 1.3.5.?  I jump
through all the requisite hoops but the cmake can't find the latest
Qt 4.4.0 I just installed.   I built C-C-T-F-Q a while back but
can't
> replicate my success.
>
> So what distro do the Scribus software writers use?

I am not a developer and use the latest Ubuntu with all the
development tools and KDE stuff.

I also build Scribus into its own directory /scribus135

The latest Qt is 4.4.2

1. Download it from Trolltech
2, Read the INSTALL (or README) if you want to
3. Do the usual

   ./configure
   make
   sudo make install

4. You will now have a /usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.4.2 directory
5. Download a fresh svn..See note(a)
6. Set your environment (See Note(b)

   export PATH=/usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.4.2/bin:$path
   export
LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.4.2/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib"

7. Build your fresh svn a la current instructions, read the output of
the first cmake command and make sure it has picked up 4.4.2

Notes
a. I haven't psyched out cmake yet, it seems to have a memory, so
previous builds using Qt-.4.4.1 will find 4.4.1 despite the PATH
pointing to 4.4.2 (in fact I d/l a fresh svn every now and then and
make a few copies, so every time I stuff something up I just go to a
copy, update it, and start again)

b. At a console run

   # env|grep PATH

That will tell you where your computer goes looking for things and in
what order. LD_LIBRARY_PATH (and PKG_CONFIG_PATH) don't normally show
up with this command, but will after you have exported it (Yet another
mystery for me)

HTH

Owen