[scribus] Import of ODT data and subsequent formatting issues

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Fri Sep 19 16:13:01 CEST 2008

John Culleton wrote:
> On Thursday 18 September 2008 04:36:16 pm Ian Seeks wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> This is the first time i've used scribus and don't have any other
>> DTP experience. I've followed a couple of tutorials on showmedo.com
>> to get em started.
>> The task is to convert a 8 page winelist and create a single "A0"
>> page with it all on so it can be printed.
>> The first thing i did was convert the the winelist that was in a
>> ODT document. It was formatted in tables of about 5 columns so i
>> created another copy by converting all the tables to text (with tab
>> separators) and lined it all up nicely.
>> I then created a scribus document and imported this newly formatted
>> ODT. I then used the Storyeditor to make sure it was lined up
>> nicely. I saved it back and the formatting was lost and it looked
>> as if tabs had been inserted in some rows and some removed in
>> others.
>> Can anyone point me in the right direction has to how i would
>> create a style or something where i can line these columns up and
>> keep them fixed?
>>
>> Thanks to the team that created and maintains scribus.
>>
>> regards
>>
>> Ian

> There are detailed instructions in the help system. Basically you
> create the odt table using calc and then bring it in using draw.
>
>  And I never use tabs, too variable from app to app.
>
> Within the story editor you can click on the left column and get to
> the style editor.  Then you can create styles.

To add just a couple things:
You must use Styles in oowriter to get the best results, in other words,
not just enter tabs and change the character features in oowriter. And
if you have a mixture of Styles and other changes, results can be
unpredictable, yet you should be able to modify any auto-created Style
in Scribus.

Greg