[scribus] Problems resizing boxes

Claudio Shah claudio.shah at gmx.de
Wed Sep 17 22:16:27 CEST 2008

Just forwarded to scribus at lists.scribus.net to share this conversation
with the public. Thank you!

Claudio Shah wrote:
> Dear Greg,
>
> thank you for your fast reply. I added comment further down.
>

>> From what you're saying I'm not sure anything needs to be fixed.
>> You need to have the mouse pointer precisely on the resizing
>> squares to resize, otherwise you will move the frame.
>>

> Maybe I did not explain precise enough, but I tried it once more in
> Scribus. The mouse pointer gets a double-arrow, if I hover over the
> resize squares. If the mouse pointer is a double-arrow only resizing
> - not moving should occur. The problem is now, that in the case you
> hover over the square slightly right of the square (not left, as in
> my first post) the pointer is still a double-arrow, but moving
> instead of resizing of the frame occurs. In my opinion resizing
> should occur as long as the mouse pointer is a double-arrow. I hope
> you can understand, what I mean!

I know this can be a touchy thing, but I think with practice you may
find it's not such a big issue. It can be hard to tell where the point
is that triggers the cursor change, functionally or visibly - I think
the problem comes from the smallness of the square relative to mouse
position imprecision. It seems to me that this switching isn't
completely reproducible, so you may always have some edge uncertainty.

I see that Gimp has gone to larger squares that are only outlines, and
they disappear when the mouse isn't over the frame -- perhaps some
variation on this  would work better.

In the end I only use the mouse this way for very crude changes. It's
good to keep in mind that if you just have a single mistake, you can
easily click Undo to place the frame back where it started.

Greg