[scribus] Embed fonts

Pierre Marchand capparis at free.fr
Wed Sep 17 21:41:36 CEST 2008

Vous (Kate Aspden) avez écrit :
> Submitted on 09/17/2008 - 20:17
> Submitted by anonymous user: [90.202.161.8]
>
> Submitted values are
>
>    Your contact information:
>      Name: Kate Aspden
>      Email Address: kate.aspden at sky.com
>    About your Scribus program:
>      Version: 1.3.3.12
>      Prebuilt/Compiled: Prebuilt
>      Build Date:
>    Your operating system and CPU:
>      Type: Windows
>      Version: vista
>      CPU type: 32bit  Intel/AMD (i386)
>    Your request content:
>      Subject: Embed fonts
>      Message:
> Hi
>
> I am having trouble exporting a document to PDF ready for print.
>
> I have produced a 2 fold leaflet of images and text and need to export to
> pdf to send to the printers.  The printers are reporting an error of
> missing letters in text, some letters within words are appearing and some
> are not? They said i need to embed the fonts?  I have tried to do this
> under file/export/save to pdf/fonts.
>
> The only fonts I have used are Times New Roman Regular and Times New Roman
> Bold.  Both Regular & Bold are listed in the available fonts (under
> file/export/save to pdf/fonts) but only Regular is listed in fonts to
> embed. The bold is listed fonts to outline.  I am able to remove the bold
> from outline but unable to list under fonts to embed?  Is this the problem?

If the TTF is large or other deeply thought reason, the font will be rather
outlined than embedded. To be honest, I think your printer would be even
happier if you would outline all your texts as all issues related to fonts
would vanished -- considering text would be turned into regular graphic
elements.
Conclusion, do not be scared by "outline" if you intend to print it!

> Also, should i be able to use PDF/X-3 as this option in the tab has been
> greyed out.  I only have options of PDF 1.3, 1.4 &1.5.

Likely you did not properly setup color management.

> Hope you can help, as i need to get to the printers tomorrow (18/9)

hehe, a bit  short term.

> Thank you
> Kate
>

> The results of this submission may be viewed at:
> http://www.scribus.net/?q=node/158/submission/14

Pierre Marchand