[scribus] Scribus suitable for a webzine?

Mike Morris twriterext at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 15:43:40 CEST 2008

I must admit I don't understand the comments on PDF accessibility.  I upload
a newsletter in PDF to a web site.  There is a link from the web site's home
page (in fact from any page on that web site that displays the "navigation"
panel) to the PDF.  When I (or anyone) clicks on that link, the PDF opens in
my Firefox browser (or their browser).  The same holds true, for me, for any
PDF from any other web site.

It is true that I use Windows and I have Adobe Reader (and Acrobat)
installed on my computer.  However, several acquaintances have Linux and
other PDF readers (and neither Adobe product) on their computers, and have
no trouble accessing or reading the newsletter PDF (or any PDF).

Have I missed something here?

The original question was about using Scribus to create a "webzine."  I
looked up the definition of webzine on Wikipedia.  There is no restriction
(in the definition) of the format.  *Certainly Scribus could do the job*.
One could create the newsletter in Scribus, convert it to PDF and post it to
the website.  The original question did not specify the length (number of
pages) of the newsletter. but one could, if one's experience level required
it, even start with a word processor to create the newsletter, then convert
*that* to PDF and post it to the website--at least until one learned enough
about Scribus (or any other DTP application) to effectively use it.  One
element of the Wikipedia definition is "...the front page is mostly
clickable headlines...."  I am not familiar enough with Scribus--yet--to
comment on its capability for that feature.  However, other DTP applications
(in particular, InDesign, which I currently use) allow the user to create at
least a "clickable" Table of Contents, which carries over to the PDF.

The original question also did not specify knowledge level.  I suggest there
are at least three possibilities:

   1. Inexperienced computer user:  Use a word processor (while learning a
   DTP application).  Convert it to PDF using a free converter application.
   Upload it to a website using a free FTP application.  Place a link to the
   the PDF on an appropriate page of the web site.
   2. Knowledgeable DTP user:  Use Scribus (or whatever application with
   which the user is comfortable), convert to PDF, post to website.
   3. Knowledgeable HTML user:  Use what ever web page creation application
   which which the user is comfortable.  Or, if one's knowledge of the Markup
   Language is sufficient, and the newsletter is not extremely complex, add the
   markups to the text using a free text editor.  Then post *that* to a web
   site.

Or, if both 2 and 3 apply, do both a PDF and an HTML version.  Post both to
a website.  That is what happens to the newsletter I create (I don't create
the HTML version).  The visitor to this particular website can view either
or both versions.  The PDF is downloadable (and printable in traditional
format), and the HTML version (actually all HTML versions, going back almost
10 years) is searchable with a Google Custom Search.