[scribus] Scribus suitable for a webzine?

Henry Hartley henryhartley at westat.com
Tue Sep 16 15:40:32 CEST 2008

Asif Lodhi wrote:

>> On 9/16/08, David Block <davidblock at mindspring.com> wrote:
>> > ....uses Quark to do the layouts for several newspapers here and
>> > these are published on the Internet.  He has suggested using
>> > Quark or Indesign, preferably the former.)   We will need to have
>> > links (to Amazon, for example) and a wiki.  I've tried to use
>> > Joomla! ...
>>
>> If you plan to publish PDFs to the Internet then Scribus is fine
>> that you can use to place links to Amazon and other websites in
>> addition to embedding some Javascript in the PDF documents.
>>
>> However, if you'd like to have your stuff in HTML (generated by
>> a PHP generated CMS presumably) then I would suggest that you use
>> a CMS which is PHP5 compliant as php.net is going to drop support
>> for versions below 5.0 end of this year. I don't think Joomla is
>> compliant. Further, you need to use a tool that generates clean
>> HTML/XHTML with appropriate standards-based CSS to increase your
>> chances of being found in search engine results. I would suggest
>> that you use DreamWeaver (which generates clean HTML) and either,
>> preferably, hand-code CSS or use a third-party CSS editor (westciv
>> people for example). As a last resort, you can use DreamWeaver's
>> own CSS facilities which are pretty good as well. In that case, I
>> would suggest that you use DreamWeaver Page Templates to easily
>> enter your content.

I just built a web site for someone whose designer worked entirely in Quark. The first thing he produced was a brochure and for that Quark is perfectly reasonable. When it came time for him to design the web site, however, he continued to use Quark. Now I know very little about the possible export options of Quark so for all I knew he would do some sort of export and I'd get individual, scaled images and HTML which I could almost certainly simplify and reduce in size by a factor of 50% or better. But no, he simply gave me a single PDF document. Was the site to be published as a PDF document? No. When I asked about having it sliced up for use on the web he didn't seem to know what I was talking about. Yet he insists that he has built many web sites. I have my doubts.

--
Henry