[scribus] Smaller file sizes?

William F. Maddock billsey at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 12 22:56:54 CEST 2008

On Thu, 2008-09-11 at 20:52 +0300, Nigel Ridley wrote:
> I have to ask this;
>
> How can I produce a reasonable looking 2 page (A4) PDF file that is less than 1 Mb?
> I ask this because I receive a couple of PDF's via email per month that are similar in content as
> the ones that I produce (a top full width logo; two column text with 4 or 5 jpg's) but their's
> are around the 500 KB mark whilst mine are 1.3 Mb! Their's are produced using 'easyPDF SDK 4.3'
> and 'InDesign CS 3.0.1'.
>
> I have done everything in the export to PDF to get the file size down (resample to 72 DPI etc).
> How do the competition manage such small file sizes?
>
> Blessings,
>
> Nigel

On Linux I save as a postscript file and then apply the following script
(called mkpdf) to it:

#
# make USLetter-sized PDF files using ps2pdf
# USAGE: mkpdf "<filename>.ps"
#
ps2pdf -dEmbedAllFonts=true -dUseFlateCompression=true -sPAPERSIZE=letter $1

Perhaps you can do something like this as well? The -sPAPERSIZE
argument would have to be changed, of course.