[scribus] Smaller file sizes?

Owen rcook at pcug.org.au
Fri Sep 12 04:45:48 CEST 2008

On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 04:33:26 +0300
Nigel Ridley <nigel at rmk.co.il> wrote:

> Owen wrote:
> >
> >> I just opened my 'test' PDF and noticed that the 'fonts' are now an
> >> image and can't be selected
> >> as text (that's good in one respect - no one can copy the text
> >> into a text editor and reuse it -
> >> kind of like an imbeded copyright).
> >> The downside is that the 'text' loses some of it's quality - it's
> >> not 'sharp' anymore.

> >> Will this keep the quality of the text as sharp as 'embed'?
> >

> > Who is the intended audience?
>
> email recipients - some older folks (with [probably] poor
> eye-sight ;-) )
>

> > What does it look like? Can you tell the difference?
>
> I'm not so old, and with my reading glasses on.... yes, I can see the
> difference - but then I _know_ that there is a difference!
>

> > On what are you looking at it?
>
> Laptop.
>

> > Owen
> >

> The font used is 'Times New Roman' (it looks really good when
> printed), but doesn't look that wonderful on screen. Perhaps I need
> another 'layer' with a [good] font for the email [computer screen]
> version. Got a suggestion for something that looks good and clean on
> screen (and has similar size rendering as New Times Roman, so that I
> won't have to adjust the layout of the text and graphics too much)?

I am sure I will be corrected if wrong, but rendering of fonts on lcd
screens is a bit different to that of a monitor.

To start with, you need to ensure your lcd is working at its
native resolution before you even think of trying to get a good display
of a font.

I don't know if this font is better than that font for an lcd, though
if I were interested, I would experiment with all available suitable
fonts.

Furthermore, if you wish to reach a wide audience, I would also ensure
that it looks ok on a few monitors and different resolutions, and I
would assume your readers were using Acrobat reader.

You are not going to get perfection, the trick is to make a reasonable
compromise.

my $0.02 worth

--

Owen