[scribus] Cut and Paste Oo formatting

Rolf-Werner Eilert eilert-sprachen at t-online.de
Wed Sep 10 12:56:30 CEST 2008

Nigel Ridley schrieb:
> Rolf-Werner Eilert wrote:
>

>> Hmmm, in fact I think this wouldn't be of help to me, as I get a lot
>> of texts in .doc format and convert them to .odt to be imported into
>> Scribus, but their layout is always A4 like from a typewriter, and the
>> layout of the papers I produce is with several columns (mostly).
>>
>> What I usually do is, I make a hardcopy of the original text and
>> browse through the text in the Scribus editor, changing all hard
>> formattings manually. Admittedly, this is somewhat roundabout.
>>
>> But e. g. my mostly used font is splitted into 4 files, so there
>> wouldn't be a way of just saying "make it italics" to Scribus even if
>> it was able to (why did Linotype deliver me such fonts back then - is
>> this the usual way, or have I just made some mistake installing them?
>> Strange enough, some programs show an additional font with all 4
>> styles in it, some - like Scribus - don't).
>>
>> Ok, so what would be necessary to achieve some ease of use is this:
>>
>> 1. Basic font familiy definition: Scribus should be able to accept
>> some sort of font definition under one font (family) name like e. g.
>> "this file for standard, this file for italics...". Then, when you
>> choose one font FAMILY and say "italics", the right file is chosen
>> automagically out of this definition.
>>
>> 2. Paragraph styles: Scribus then could be able to accept at least the
>> basic font outlines hardly formatted in .odt files. This would help
>> when importing them. In your paragraph style, you would only define
>> the font family, not the specific font file, and maybe one of the
>> styles available.
>>
>> 3. To make things finer, one might be able to define replacement
>> formattings like "I don't want underline, but use bold-italics
>> instead" to make sure imported texts from the people who use their
>> text processors like a typewriter will still look acceptable in your
>> layout under Scribus.
>>
>> Believe me, I'm getting a lot of texts with even words PARTLY
>> formatted in, say, italics to make a special thing clear (for everyone
>> here on the list not knowing German: In German combined words are
>> written like one single - longer - word, so it's e. g. the second part
>> of a word which is underlined, italics or whatever to stress something).
>>
>> Rolf
>>

> You could try something similar to this tutorial:
> http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Laying_out_articles
>
> There was another tutorial that I came across with the same idea - but I
> can't find it anymore :-(
>
> HTH
>
> Blessings,
>
> Nigel

Thank you Nigel for that link. This will be interesting for me when
writing articles, maybe also for our pastor, but I think way too
complicated for all the other guys sending me texts... :-)

Guess in most cases I'll just have to be happy that they know how to
type around in their word processor and how to e-mail me their texts.

Regards

Rolf