[scribus] Booklets

Xavier Colmant xavier.colmant at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 21:22:04 CEST 2008

We do need an imposition tool in Scribus. No matter what has been said
about spending better coding time on other things !

Scribus will stay amateur until such a tool/function is available.

>From my experience, using external tools to do it result in :
a) loss of color profiles between RGB/CMYK (example Multivalent under Linux)
b) Successive (at least 3) conversion operations can only result
either in a loss or distorsion of original information
c) Bugs in intermediate tools, such as psnup, renders Scribus
dependant on such tools and prevents it from being really
professional.

On c) I have a very precise example :
I created a vey simple document (I can send the source) in Scribus
using an A5 form to be transfomed to A4, After creating the
appropriate PDF file and transforming it into ps, psbooking it,
psnuping it, pdfing it back, it worked properly (see scribus/wiki).
Creating the same document in Scribus using an A4 form to be
transformed in A3 failed miserably, no matter what I tried (
permutation of arguments between p and P, w - W, h - H). All worked
fine with A5 to A4. All fucked-up using instead A4 to A3 : psnup did
obstinately produce an A4 document instead of an A3 one, With a lots
of diverse fucks up..

As I mentioned before, happily my Printer is an anarchist friend and
so, I produce a properly imposed suite of A4 pages, and he transform
them into A3 sheets.  But I doubt it's a good solution, unless you're
anarchist and your Printer is so.

Bises,

Xavier