[scribus] Booklets

Murray Strome wmstrome at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 9 06:03:19 CEST 2008

--- On Mon, 9/8/08, Pierre Marchand <capparis at free.fr> wrote:
From: Pierre Marchand <capparis at free.fr>
Subject: Re: [scribus] Booklets
Date: Monday, September 8, 2008, 3:59 PM

Vous (Mike Morris) avez écrit :
> If I correctly understand the Scribus documentation, in order to do this
> with Scribus, one needs an additional utility, either "psutils"
or
> Multivalent.
>
> Is that correct?

Yes. The idea here is that while it would be nice to have such printing
feature into Scribus, it’s well handled by dedicated softwares and thus we
can spend more time coding critical features - and some imposition tool :)

> I found a mailing list response from March of 2006 that provides sources
> download either in Windows versions.  I connected to the two websites, but
> I am still unclear which to use (if, in fact I am correct in concluding
> that one or the other must be used).  In order to use Multivalent, is it
> necessary to convert the Scribus file to PDF first?  From the description
> on the website, that appears to be the case.

I don’t know any tool that can impose a native Scribus file. So yes, you need

to first export the document in a suitable format. Although it can be an
hidden operation if your printer driver offers such a feature.

> Apparently, with psutils, the booklet can be created directly from the
> Scribus file.  Is that correct?

No.

> What are the advantages/disadvantages of each approach?

It depends. If you want to print it on an office printing device attached to
our box, I would vote for the smart driver option. If you want to store the
resulting file, for getting it to a print shop or having it ready for
re-prints etc., the external tool which would produce an imposed PDF seems
fine.

my 2 ¢

--
Pierre Marchand

-----
I just came across this VERY useful tool (for LINUX). I don't know if something equivalent is available for Windows or Mac.  I had been very confused about  something:

All the Scribus advice I have seen suggests that you should limit .sla files to documents of about 20 pages.

I had seen nothing that clearly told me how to combine all these files (or the exported PDF documents that could be created from them) and was about to ask how to do this (again!) as I had not really understood all the previous discussions on the topic. I then came across this website:
http://www.pdfhacks.com/pdftk/
VOILA!!!  -- this stuff is really GREAT! I have also used it with PDF files created with OpenOffice, and other applications printing to PDF (all on LINUX).  I do have Adobe Acrobat on a Windows computer, but find that I almost never have to use it. Besides, I rarely do any work on the WIndows machine except for Video editing with Pinnacle Studio. I would drop that and stick STRICTLY with LINUX if Cinelerra ever became stable enough.

For making booklets (which was my original interest in DTP in the first place, and what led me to the discovery of Scribus), I have found the directions given here to be most helpful, and have now made several booklets using them:
http://twopoint718.blogspot.com/2008/05/make-book.html

Printing from the resulting .ps file works great for me (both on LINUX and Windows). However, if I were taking the results to a Copy Centre or Print Shop, I would add a final step:

ps2pdf {file name}.ps > {filename}.pdf

I hope this is helpful.

Murray