[scribus] Cut and Paste Oo formatting

"Christoph Schäfer" christoph-schaefer at gmx.de
Mon Sep 8 16:28:44 CEST 2008

> But e. g. my mostly used font is splitted into 4 files, so there
> wouldn't be a way of just saying "make it italics" to Scribus even if it
> was able to (why did Linotype deliver me such fonts back then - is this
> the usual way, or have I just made some mistake installing them?

You are probably using PostScript fonts. Those font files can only contain 256 glyphs, hence the four different files.

> Strange
> enough, some programs show an additional font with all 4 styles in it,
> some - like Scribus - don't).

Scribus is very picky when it comes to fonts. It only shows what actually exists, ie. if there's more than one file for a font family, it shows different fonts for each font face. That's different with TrueType and OpenType fonts, which can contain thousands of glyphs, for example, regular, italics, bold, small caps etc. in a single file.

When you're importing from OO.o, you may face a problem with non-existing fonts. For example, if you use Gentium in your OO.o document and format some text as bold, Scribus will ask for a replacement of "Gentium Bold", which can't be available on your system, as it doesn't exist. Scribus won't create "faux" font faces, so you have to replace it with something else.

Another problem is that OO.o sometimes doesn't seem to save the PostScript name of a font, so while the font may be installed on your system, Scribus is looking for the PostScript name and doesn't find it. In this case it isn't Scribus's fault, as it can't guess what the correct font file might be.

> 3. To make things finer, one might be able to define replacement
> formattings like "I don't want underline, but use bold-italics instead"
> to make sure imported texts from the people who use their text
> processors like a typewriter will still look acceptable in your layout
> under Scribus.

This won't work. Scribus _can_ import manual formatting, like underline, strikethrough, coloured, even fake small caps etc. But, as said above, if there are fake italics or bold fonts used in a file, there have to be real font italic and bold faces available. Plus, you should ask the OO.o developers to make sure the correct PostScript name of a font is saved in an ODT file.

If Scribus imports only text without formatting from an SXW or ODT file, you probably checked "Import Text Only" in the "Get Text" dialog.

HTH

Christoph