[scribus] pdf import

Rolf-Werner Eilert eilert-sprachen at t-online.de
Thu Sep 4 11:06:02 CEST 2008

Jan Schrewe schrieb:
> Christian Schulz schrieb am Mittwoch, 3. September 2008:
>> I am creating a poster (Din A0) with scribus.
>> Most of the content of the poster are imported pdfs (sourcing from
>> latex).
>> I am struggeling with the fact that the pdf files have only 72x72 dpi,
>> which is low.
>> When I adapt the imported image to the frame size you can see in the
>> scribus editor the poor quality of the resolution.
>> Further when I generate the pdf, scribus displays a message with
>> yellow bullet that the document contains an imported pdf file. So I am
>> wondering for what reason scribus complains about importing a pdf file
>> in general.
>> Because of the 72x72 dpi?
>
> The PDF does not have a resolution before it gets imported because if it comes
> from Latex it contains only vector information.

That explains it.

> AFAIK Scribus rasterizes a pdf when it gets imported. That explains why
> printing a file with al lot of pdf takes long, there are a lot of images in
> it.

Hm. It was not "a lot of" pdfs but "any" more than 0... and it meant the
one page it is placed on. Maybe the RIP of my printer (it's our A3
copier) is a bit slow for such rasterizing.

> If you are worried about the resolution of the final pdf take a look with
> 200%-400% magnification in the Adobe Reader. If the image does not look good
> you will propably get problems if you print it. Or create 300 or 600 dpi
> tiffs from your pdf with convert and put them in your document.

That's a good idea - never had to do with it before - how would you
write that line? The man-page doesn't tell me too much:

convert original.pdf new.tif

or something? How about resolution?

Rolf