[scribus] Back peddling - for now...

Frank Swygert farna at att.net
Wed Oct 15 15:50:12 CEST 2008

Mike, go down to the nearest Office Depot, Staples, Kinkos, etc. They have spiral anc comb binding, and can print in any size their copy machines can handle. Price is about the same for color pages, but any black and white text pages are MUCH cheaper. If text pages are mixed with color much you may want to separate the color and text pages into two different PDFs then assemble them yourself before handing over for binding, but talk to them first. Most of the copiers ("digital presses") have black and color cartridges, and should charge a lower price for the text pages coming off that machine, even if it is a penny or two more than the standard B&W printers.

Viovio is probably using the same type copier. The digital photo copiers are very high quality, and most are really high speed laser printers, printing directly from a PDF file rather than scanning and printing.

------------
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 08:35:13 -0400
From: Mike Breiding <mike at WildWonderfulWV.us>

I feel I need to get more info about printing services before I move
ahead with the Web to Book project.

I have decided on this this format:
http://www.viovio.com/index.php?structure_id=483
14x11 Portfolio book with wire-o binding binding
Interior Paper:	120# (218gsm) Coated Gloss
Cost is $7.49 + $.50 / page that would be about $110+ a copy for me
(800 images, 4 images per page X .50/page.

I had planned to get 5 copies made.

Before I lock myself into this by choosing the 14x11 format/binding I
would like to know if anyone has any feedback on this format or other
print services which may be better suited for my project.

Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"
Magazine (AMC)
For all AMC enthusiasts