[scribus] New to publishing, Scribus, and this list

Mike Breiding mike at WildWonderfulWV.us
Mon Oct 13 21:21:25 CEST 2008

Greetings,

I just fired up Scribus this morning and spent some time getting the
feel of it.

Pardon the off-topicness of this post but I felt I needed to give some
background.

I am about to embark on my first book publishing project.  And right now
it looks rather daunting for a first timer.
My hope it to take this website: http://EpicRoadTrips.us/ca2007 and make
it into a book.
There are around 800 images and comments for most.
My target finish date is 15Dec2008

The primary reason for doing this is to give it to my aging mother who
has never owned a computer and never will.
But, she is a lifelong bibliophile.
For her to be able to see the website in print would be a huge thrill
for her and the book would be something she would cherish.

I started thinking about this project a month ago and did a lot of
rooting around on the web looking for book publishing apps such as
Blurb's  BookSmart. I tried a number of them and found them all to rigid
and proprietary
So, I then looked into iPhoto and Aperture. Similar problems.

I then test drove an old copy of PageMaker 6.5 WIN. Aaargghh! Painful.
I then decided to check out InDesign when a local WVU Publications
person suggested I look into Scribus, which I had never heard of. I am
glad he did.

So along with some hand holding  and help with Scribus I am also hoping
to get some more general guidance on publishing as it relates to size,
layout, printing services, etc.
I am going to keep it *very simple* otherwise I fear I will never get it
done.

I plan to make only a few copies and I am currently looking at VioVio
for printing.
See: http://www.viovio.com/index.php?structure_id=483

So, I am now going to get started with some basic photo and text layout
and then start making a list of question I am unable to answer for myself.

But my first question is:
Is this do-able for a newbie? Or am I nuts?

Thanks,
-Mike