[scribus] Using Scribus 1.3.5svn Productively

John Beardmore John at T4sLtd.co.uk
Sun Oct 12 12:25:30 CEST 2008

a.l.e wrote:

>>> 3. You have to know your other tools to use as well as know a few things
>>> about the PDF standard itself. Scribus (in any version) is not -- nor
>>> ever will (or should!) -- be a one-for-all tool.
>>
>> Shouldn't this depend on the user and their application ?
>>
>> Is there any need to be dogmatic about it ??
 >
> yes and no...
>
> do you want a tool wich does only few things but does them in an optimal
> way (and being compatible with other tools which do the other tasks) or
> do you want a tool which does everything but not really good?
>
> imho, if you try to follow both goals you won't ever achieve anything...

I already use Scribus as as my whole report writing environment.

Granted photo preparation occurs in Gimp which I have no particular
desire to change, but I don't think it makes sense to defend the
boundaries of Scribus as a layout only tool when the processes of
editing and layout are necessarily entwined to get an optimal result.
And if other features are embedded in Scribus, I can't say I mind if it
improves the ergonomics of the Scribus environment.

Cheers, J/.
Energy Audit, Carbon Management, Design Advice, Sustainable Energy
Consultancy and Installation, Carbon Trust Standard Registered Assessor