[scribus] Printing an SLA without using X11

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Fri Oct 10 23:05:11 CEST 2008

On Friday 10 October 2008 04:35:48 pm Jan Schrewe wrote:
> Jon schrieb am Freitag, 10. Oktober 2008:
> > If I could find a decent open source wysiwig editor for that
> > format (or if OpenOffice Writer exported it properly) we'd be
> > using it right now.
>
> There is none. Lyx comes as close as possible to wysiwig, but it is
> usually written as code and then compiled.
>
> Jan

I am missing something here. Lyx produces and compiles LaTeX code not
sla. There are other specialized LaTeX editors, such as Kile.

On Slackware I open a command line window and from there I open two
other Windows, a Gvim editor session and a Kpdf session. I have Gvim
trained to execute some F keys:
F2 rearrange the text in gvim and justify ragged right.
F3 execute pdftex book.tex
F4 execute texexec book.tex    (Context call)
F5 execute kpdf book.pdf

As it happens kpdf will update itself when the underlying file is
changed, yet retain the same page location in the file.  So that is
my wysiwyg window.

I use Scribus just for covers. For documents I use TeX as indicated
above.  Scribus is just too awkward for long documents. Things are
getting better, but IMO they aren´t there yet.   And for me LaTeX is
too verbose and confining. There are horses for courses.

--
John Culleton