[scribus] Wiki-page for discussing features in layout software

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Wed Oct 1 14:54:54 CEST 2008

Achim Leitner wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> what's it that makes layout software great for using in reald-world
> design processes? The answer, of course, depends on the type of product
> you're designing. I startet a wiki page that briefly sums up my point of
> view regarding requirements for magazine layouts and I'd like to invite
> everybody to join the discussion:
>
> http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Discussion:_Practical_Needs_in_Layout_Software
>
> In this file, I've been collecting my ideas and experiences from nearly
> eight years of working on Linux-Magazin (Germany). I'm basically an
> editor and software developer, I've been designing and implementing
> workflows (for XPress and InDesign) and tools to support it and nowadays
> am also heading the layout team here. The motivation for this discussion
> page is to try to bridge the needs and wishes of designers, editors and
> developers.

Thanks for caring enough about the project to give us your thoughts,
Achim. We have feature requests on the bug tracker and somewhere there
is a wiki page for suggestions, but it's good to see a narrative such as
yours.

This is input that we need, and I'm sure Louis Desjardins will welcome
additional input such as this.

Some of your proposals have current answers, I think, and there are many
good suggestions for things Scribus currently doesn't have answers for.
I'll try to annotate a bit when I get the chance to read carefully again.
What I would suggest for anyone wishing to edit Achim's wiki page with
Fonts and Type Styles, for example, so that the visual flow of what he
is saying doesn't get interrupted.

A personal point-of-view to answer some issues may be to further develop
Scripter in its new incarnation, so that frequently used scripts might
be added to the toolbar -- for example, one might have a script that
modifies settings for a text frame for a particular layout, requiring no
user input, just running and modifying quickly. First we need a much
more comprehensive list of Scripter commands, more than even the
original version.

Greg