[scribus] Confused on how to insert/delete pages

John Beardmore John at T4sLtd.co.uk
Thu Nov 20 21:24:00 CET 2008

Peter Nermander wrote:

>> No.  But one of the first things I wanted was the ability to move page
>> contents as new guides were applied to a page. I didn't even bother to
>
> If you think about it, it is not that easy.
>
> Should Scribus ALWAYS move the page content when guides are changed?

That is neither what I said, or what I wanted.

> think that will make people even more frustrated, beacuse things will move
> around when you don't want to.
>
> What you really want is "conditional" placement. To be able to set a
> position to be located relative the "inside" margin or the "outside"
> margin.
>
> It becomes even more problematic since Scribus only has one reference
> point for a frame (it can be set to 9 different settings though).

Could a tenth be the top leff corner of the guides ?

> If you place a frame in the left margin, using the upper left corner as
> reference point, moving it do the right margin will need the reference
> point to be changed to the upper right corner (or else it will not end up
> correctly). (Of course setting the reference point to upper center will
> most likely work too, but then you can not easily set the frame to be for
> example "10 mm from the margin", you must set the distance to "10 mm plus
> half the width from the margin".)
>
> So this kind of alignment options need a lot of complicated logic to get
> things to work out as expected.

In the basic case where people set the guides and work within them, I
would have though it would be useful to many people, and relatively
quick to implement ?

If you want to do something complex outside the guides, do it by
hand ?

Cheers, J/.
Energy Audit, Carbon Management, Design Advice, Sustainable Energy
Consultancy and Installation, Carbon Trust Standard Registered Assessor