[scribus] Big freeze and recoveery with 1.3.5

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Wed Nov 12 15:21:57 CET 2008

Craig Bradney wrote:
> [...]
I have several computers, most of which I wouldn't consider wasting the
money to upgrade anymore, but they're something like old friends I can't
seem to part with. The only one in which Scribus is not very workable is
an old PIII laptop with 250MB of RAM and about 500MB of swap (this
doesn't count an old Gateway PII that can't manage Linux beyond RH9, and
therefore Scribus isn't even in the realm of the conceivable). That
Scribus will work at all on such a machine is a bit of a marvel, so I
keep checking now and again just to see that it does indeed work. I
probably should try at least doubling swap size the next time I upgrade
just to see what use that might be.

A couple of other P4's with 500MB of RAM, 1GB of swap generally do Ok.
You do have to be mindful of image memory usage - running 'top' can be
very informative, like watching an impending train wreck in slow motion.
For someone trying to do professional work on a regular basis, that
extra layer of careful planning necessary just to manage isn't worth the
recurrent headaches.

Greg