[scribus] Which font used in the logo - Armada Regular

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Tue May 27 22:40:07 CEST 2008

2008/5/27 avox <avox at arcor.de>:
> davelab6 wrote:
>>> IMO a font designer has the right to profit from his/her work, and as
>>> long
>>> as one needs money for living, the font designer should decide how
>>> to pay for the use of his/her work.
>>
>> an implicit
>> assumption: that without total control of the use of font software,
>> type designers cannot possibly be paid a cent. Supposedly it is all or
>> nothing
>
> That's not what I think; I just think that the fontdesigner should decide
> how and how much he/she should be paid.

I agree with you - but decisions comes with responsibilities, such as
to make an ethical decision.

>> I'm not sure that anyone has a _right_ to profit, because if someone
>> with a better business model starts their business, they ought to
>> drive that person into bankruptcy.
>
> Difficult semantics here. I meant that font designers have the right to
> offer their product on the market and keep the money they get for it.
> Of course, if there are no buyers, there will be no profit.

I agree here too :-) I will not buy proprietary software licenses.

Although normally, deciding to get paid in unethical ways
(counterfeiting, fraud, racketeering...) is often outlawed, I'm not
sure proprietary software should be outlawed; I just hope it will go
away eventually :-)

>> (This email is largely parodying http://www.gnu.org/gnu/manifesto.html :-)
>
> Uh, I'm afraid that this irony is lost on me. You mean your whole email is
> a parody? Or just the last paragraph?

What I mean is, before I was born, Stallman covered the risk of not
getting rich is not a justification for restricting people. His logic
for programs translates directly to fonts, and I basically copy and
pasted the GNU manifesto and changed "programs" to "fonts" :-)

--
Regards,
Dave