[scribus] [Scribus] text with gradient

D. R. Evans doc.evans at gmail.com
Sat May 3 14:20:55 CEST 2008

Gregory Pittman said the following at 05/02/2008 09:02 PM :

> Do we need more here?
> http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Text_Gradients

My suggestions would be:

1. Make it a whole lot more obvious how to find that page. (What seems
obvious to me: searching on "gradient" was no help at all, and led me to
believe that the entire topic was absent. Doing it again, I see that
actually it is there... at item #14, behind stuff like GSoC, and well off
the bottom of the initial screen, so although "search" found the "Text
Gradients" article, it's not actually likely that someone would have the
patience to read down the list far enough to discover it.)

2. Detailed comments about the text on that page:

The first thing to do is to select the frame, then click Item > Convert To
> Outlines, or use the Context menu.

[should be something more like: The operations are as follows:

1. Select the frame;
2. From either the Insert menu or by right-clicking, select "Convert To"
3. Click on "Outlines"
]

In the middle example, we then click Item > Ungroup to separate the
individual letters, then click each one and use the gradients in Properties
> Colors as desired. If you do not ungroup, you can choose different colors
for each letter, but there will be one kind of gradient possible for all
letters

[what does "one kind of gradient possible for all letters" mean? My natural
reaction is: "well I want to apply only one gradient to each letter. Why
would I ever want to apply more than one gradient to a letter?".]

"use the gradients in Properties > Colors as desired" sounds fine... except
that the way that the gradient works in Properties | Colours is very
puzzling, and there should be a link to a page that explains exactly what
the little red and blue triangles are, and why I get more of them if I
click, and how to get rid of the additional ones.

  Doc