[Scribus] 2 questions

Craig Bradney cbradney
Thu Mar 20 09:33:50 CET 2008

> I finally reached their "PDF expert" and chatted with him.
>
> So the real scoop is that problems are caused if you use transparency
> anywhere in a PDF.
>
> "OK so the issue there is that transparencies simply are not supported in
> high speed commercial digital print environment.
>
> they need to be resolved to the final pixel--ie flattened"
>
> So my experience is that if you make use of transparency anywhere, it
might
> or might not work with scribus "out of the box".
>
> Their first recommendation for Linux users is to use GIMP :-) but
otherwise
> if you use transparency anywhere then you MUST flatten the output if you
> want it to work reliably.
>
> (Incidentally, one of the other tech support people there also mentioned
> that one should use PDF 1.4 or earlier.)

What sort of rubbish answer is that? If they are going to "support" PDF 1.4,
then they need to support transparencies.

Ok, Scribus needs to get a flattener built in at some point, (patent
mine-field, btw), but they need to recheck their specs. With PDF now at 1.7,
I doubt 1.3 is going to be used "by default" by most unknowing customers in
the future.

Craig