[Scribus] Creating PDF forms whose data can be saved with acrobat reader

Maciej Hanski ma_han2000
Mon Mar 3 19:52:46 CET 2008

Craig Ringer wrote:

--cut--

> The signature will be to restrict who can use this feature. Quoting the
> reference: "The signature is used to validate that the permissions have
> been granted by a bonafide granting authority."  In a quick skim read I
> didn't see any definition of what such a granting authority might be,
> but the answer is probably "Adobe and major partners". A quick bit of
> searching of Adobe's site finds a lot of information about how to use
> their products (the Java interface to their libraries, the LifeCycle
> products, Acrobat, etc) to manage usage rights, but nothing on how an
> external developer might be able to do it.
>
> In other words, enabling form saving in Adobe Reader probably costs big
> bucks.

It cannot even be done with Adobe Acrobat (full version), you would have
to use  Adobe Reader Extensions[1][2]  (see also my previous reply to
this thread), which costs big bucks indeed. So big its price[3] cannot
be found on Adobe's website -- you have to call their sales rep and they
will call you back and negotiate the price of the licence (two modells,
either per pdf form or per pdf form user, as far as I remember). I had
done it a few years ago, talked about the price, and my employer quickly
lost his interest in this solution:)

Somebody could of course look into one of those "enabled" pdf forms,
find the subtle difference and try to implement these features in other
software, but I presume  Adobe lawyers would not simply watch in silence.

cheers
Maciej

1. http://www.adobe.com/products/livecycle/readerextensions/
2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_LiveCycle_Reader_Extensions