[Scribus] Creating PDF forms whose data can be saved with acrobat reader

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Mon Mar 3 14:55:13 CET 2008

Craig Ringer wrote:
> The usage rights feature used for this is documented in the PDF
> Reference 1.6 section 8.3
>
> The signature will be to restrict who can use this feature. Quoting the
> reference: "The signature is used to validate that the permissions have
> been granted by a bonafide granting authority."  In a quick skim read I
> didn't see any definition of what such a granting authority might be,
> but the answer is probably "Adobe and major partners". A quick bit of
> searching of Adobe's site finds a lot of information about how to use
> their products (the Java interface to their libraries, the LifeCycle
> products, Acrobat, etc) to manage usage rights, but nothing on how an
> external developer might be able to do it.
>
> In other words, enabling form saving in Adobe Reader probably costs big
> bucks.

This is of interest, and worth figuring out. It's not clear to me that
this is entirely in Adobe's interest to restrict this usage --
encourages someone to develop a more open forms format.

I've always felt that this is one of the big ways that proprietary
formats are very wrong -- I take *my* data, *my* creative input, and it
gets held hostage in a format I do not have complete rights over -- very
very wrong.

Greg